Thursday, August 21, 2008

I might stay longer.

I've already been on the island for two weeks and it feels like just a few days.  I've been staying at hostels and doing some camping.

I checked out Mauna Kea, Volcano Park, and Captain Cook in Kona, and South Point.  Here is a picture of Green Sands in South Point.  The sand has Olivine in it (a semi-precious stone) and so it is green!
I want to stay longer because there is so much to see and do.  I haven't even explored Hilo yet, or the Hamakua.  I've heard amazing things about a place called Waipio Valley.
I talked to Allan Yoza, who is  a farm owner, and I might stay on his farm.  He said it was in Puna, which I haven't been to yet.  He does a work exchange program and it sounds like it will be a good way for me to stay on the island without increasing my expenses.